Donating Human Hair & Availability of Wigs
Cancer patients often undergo chemotherapy. Hair loss can occur when chemotherapy drugs travel throughout the body to kill cancer cells and some of these drugs damage hair follicles, causing the hair to fall out. Hair loss is a common side-effect of chemotherapy treatment.
CANSA Care Centres have wig-banks that stock synthetic and human hair wigs which may be hired by patients. The availability, styles and colours vary at each CANSA Care Centre. These wigs have been donated to CANSA and are lent out to patients and then returned and ready to be loaned out again to someone else. CANSA asks for a donation for the wigs, so that we can manage their upkeep and care.
Upon request wigs made from human hair may be ordered from CANSA’s Head Office, as staff there receive wigs from our wig-maker. Wig recipients may give a donation towards the wig. Requests for human hair wigs may be directed to Lucinda Carter, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Hair Wigs
CANSA’s Kindest Cut campaign: CANSA receives human hair donations (ponytails) in order to make sufficient wigs for cancer Survivors requesting them. These wigs are distributed, as requested, to CANSA Care Centres all over the country, and given to cancer Survivors who need it most.
We do accept hair donations at our Shavathons and throughout the year at our Head Office in Gauteng and via local CANSA Care Centres, countrywide. Hair donations received are then sent to a wig manufacturer of human hair.
These wigs are given to cancer Survivors (patients) free of charge, the only exception being CANSA Durban Care Centre where a contribution is required, as these hair donations are outsourced to an independent wigmaker. Donations are welcome.
Please note: CANSA does not have a specific partnership with any hairdressing salons. Please contact a salon of your choice when cutting your hair, in order to make a hair donation.
Requirements – Human Hair Donations:
- Ponytail donation that is 25 cm or longer.
- Hair should be clean and dry.
- All hair whether dyed or treated is acceptable. We are not able to use dreadlocks.
- When cutting the hair, please bind both ends with an elastic band and place in a zip-lock bag (this preserves it in the best condition while being transported to the wig manufacturer).
- Send your hair donation in a plastic bag with your name and contact details on it.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions (Hair Donations) document…
Postage Human Hair Donations to CANSA
- For Att: Lucinda Carter
- CANSA Head Office
- P.O. Box 2121, Bedfordview 2008
Where to Drop off Human Hair Donations
- at your local CANSA Care Centre – phone Care Centre for address details or
- at CANSA’s Head Office: 26 Concorde Road West, Bedfordview