You Are a Survivor
Whether you have recently been diagnosed with cancer or whether you are a veteran who has undergone the rigours of treatment, or if you are now in remission, CANSA considers you a cancer Survivor.
We want you to know that you are not alone and that we would like to support you and your loved ones. As you face your cancer diagnosis, learn to live with and through this disease and even beyond it, we would like to inspire hope and courage in you and empower you with the information you need to take control of your life.
CANSA is committed to connecting people facing cancer with information, day-to-day help as well as emotional support they need in the communities where they live. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors and their loved ones don’t have to face cancer alone; we’re here to support them through every step of their cancer journey.*
* The responsibility rests with patients to contact CANSA for assistance. CANSA is not informed of any diagnoses / of patients being treated at medical centres. Family need to obtain permission from patients, before CANSA may contact them. Read more…
What is Cancer Booklet
CancerCare Coping Kit
A cancer diagnosis is very stressful. You have so many questions and it may feel as if your world has turned upside down. Help is at hand with our CancerCare Coping Kit Audio-Programme.
We developed this audio-programme along with fellow cancer Survivors to help empower you to deal with cancer, by providing knowledge and understanding.
Through this audio-programme, we hope to equip you with practical tools for use in your daily life and to provide your family members & caregivers with information and knowledge, to make this journey easier.
You will learn more about the following:
- What is cancer, its treatment & side effects?
- Emotional reactions to a cancer diagnosis & the importance of communication
- Cancer & nutrition
- Celebrating life & living positively with cancer
We’d like to introduce you to Aunt Sophia. She has a wealth of information & practical tips to share with you.
Sign up for our iSurvivor email-based support programme and she’ll send you weekly emails to inspire & encourage you – no charge – she’s a cancer Survivor herself, so she knows what a rollercoaster ride this cancer journey can be!
Knowing the Enemy & Your Rights
- Empowering You with Knowledge re Cancer
- Survivorship & Cancer Fact Sheet
- Cancer & Mental Health Fact Sheet
- Chemo Brain Fact Sheet
- Pain Control in Cancer Fact Sheet
- Position Statement Rights of Patients & Caregivers
- Assisted Suicide Position Statement & Fact Sheet
- ‘Your Advance Health Care Directive’ (expressing your wishes re health care, treatment or withdrawal treatment, provision pain relief, additional wishes, etc)
- Find more Fact Sheets re coping with cancer…
Providing You with Care & Support
Read more about the holistic care & support we can offer you & your loved ones at our CANSA Care Centres & Clinics and CANSA Care Homes. This includes counselling; support groups; stoma care; lymphoedema treatment; provision of prostheses, wigs & medical equipment.
You can also join our Facebook Group: CANSA Survivors – Champions of Hope where you can meet other cancer Survivors – the members of this group will help support you & you in turn may inspire them! We also have a group for Caregivers. Ask your Caregiver to join our Facebook Group: CANSA Caring for the Caregivers.
Helping You Celebrate Life As You Fight Cancer:
- Keep Informed: follow CANSA on Twitter and Like our Facebook Page for info & inspiration.
- Be Inspired: read Stories of Hope shared by fellow cancer Survivors and be encouraged to keep on FIGHTING and to never lose HOPE!
- Share: your OWN Story of Hope so that you can make a positive impact on another cancer Survivor…
- Participate: take part in Relay For Life, Shavathon, Cuppa For CANSA, the Sanlam Cancer Challenge (Golf), or CANSA Active – experience the camaraderie of these events and make your stand against cancer along with fellow cancer Survivors!
- Make a Positive Impact: become a CANSA Volunteer and share the wisdom you have gained.
CANSA Salutes You – Our cancer Survivors
International Cancer Survivors’ Day
Although CANSA supports Survivors throughout the year, International Cancer Survivors’ Day (1st Sunday in June), remains a special opportunity to acknowledge cancer patients, whether newly diagnosed, undergoing treatment or in remission, and the courage and determination it takes to fight the disease. It’s also an occasion to inspire hope, that cancer can be beaten, and to remind Survivors that they are not alone.
HOPE after a cancer diagnosis:
Message from CANSA CEO, Elize Joubert, to cancer Survivors:
I wish our cancer Survivors a happy International Survivors’ Day and leave you with this quote:
“You could have given up, but you chose to fight. You chose to beat all the odds. You chose to believe that HOPE is stronger than reality. You chose to overlook the suffering. You chose to see the light at the end of life’s darkest tunnel. You made all the right choices, you are truly INSPIRATIONAL.” (2018)