Food Safety Essential
Unsafe food can lead to a range of health problems: diarrhoea, viral disease, reproductive and developmental problems and cancers.
See general tips below:
- Always wash your hands and sanitise surfaces when handling food
- Separate raw and cooked foods when storing in the refrigerator
- Keep food at a safe temperature
- Use safe water and always check expiry dates on bottled water
- Reheat cooked food thoroughly
- Cook food well, especially seafood and chicken
Read our ‘Keep Food Safe’ Fact Sheet & learn more about:
- 5 keys to safer food
- Safety & Storage Tips – when should you throw out?
- Reading Food Labels – understanding ‘best before / by / expiry date’ & implications
- Power Outages – when to save & when to throw out