What is Cancer?
Cancer is a complex, life-threatening disease which affects millions of South Africans. CANSA is very concerned about the high incidence of cancer and is working hard to help South Africans to reduce their cancer risk, help them to detect it early and facilitate care and support to those who are diagnosed, as well as their loved ones.
Cancer is any malignant growth or tumour caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division. If not stopped, it may spread to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or blood stream.
- Warning Signs Cancer
- Fact Sheet on Cancer
- Fact Sheet Genetic Testing for Cancer
- Fact Sheet on ICD-10 Coding Neoplasms (cancers)
- Fact Sheet Glossary Cancer & Health Related Terminology
- Fact Sheet on Known Causes of Cancer
- Fact Sheet on Carcinogens per Organ Site
- Fact Sheet How to Reduce Risk of Cancer
- Read more: – all our Position Statements & Fact Sheets regarding cancer
- Cancer Myths
Prevalence of Cancer:
- Infographic: Cancer Statistics (SA & Global Cancer Atlas)
- Cancer Statistics (South Africa)
- Cancer Statistics (Global)
Types of Cancer
There are over 200 different kinds of cancer. Some cancers are named after the part of the body where the cancer or tumour originates. Some cancers affect areas such as glands or blood, such as lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system) and leukemia (cancer of the blood).
Screening & Treatment Cancer:
Coping With Cancer:
- You are a Survivor – read more…
- Read our Fact Sheets & Position Statements regarding ‘Coping with Cancer’…
- Online support resources…
Has Cancer Touched Your Life?
Cancer affects one in four South Africans, through diagnosis of family, friends, colleagues or self.
We want you to know that you are not alone and that we would like to support you and your loved ones, regardless of how cancer has touched your life.
Find info & online resources to help you fight cancer and please read more about CANSA’s Holistic Care & Support which is offered at our CANSA Care Centres countrywide.