The CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from four to six weeks, and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible. If they are not able to do so they are welcome to stay, however, they have to arrange for their own meals.
If necessary patients may bring a caregiver along to assist them, providing there are beds available, as preference is given to patients. A social worker is available during the day and a member of staff is on duty at night, ensuring 24 hr support to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Durban Care Centre.
The CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home is situated in Umbilo, Durban, next to the CANSA Durban Care Centre, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centres: Hopelands Oncology Centre, Ascott Park Hospital, Hillcrest Hospital, Busamed, Parklands Hospital, Durban Oncology Centre, The Oncology Centre, Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital and Addington Hospital. There are corner cafes, take aways and petrol station stores in the area and the Care Home is close to Congella Park. Patients are dropped off at shops or pharmacies en route to or from treatment should they need to purchases any items.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home on 031 -205 9525.
619 Umbilo Road, Durban, 4001
P.O. Box 17173, Congella, 4013
Patients need to bring their own toiletries and towels and any chronic / other medication required during their stay. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay R150 per day. State patients may give a donation according to what they are able to afford.
- Meals: Three balanced meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) are provided daily – meals adapted to the medical needs of the patient
- Capacity: 27 patients may be accommodated (x 6 rooms with twin beds; x 2 rooms with three beds and en suite shower and toilet; single rooms with en suite shower and wash basin). Each bedroom has a bed, bedside table, reading lamp and writing desk.
- Rooms: communal lounge (x 2 TV’s / electric keyboard) and dining room; ladies and men’s bathrooms
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Durban Care Centre) – wrap around garden with 2 prayer / meditation areas
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Two wheelchairs / walking frames at Care Home (free of charge)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments, and stoma products from the Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: Hoping is Coping Support Group (based on CancerCare Coping Kit) and information regarding patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available at Care Centre (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Weekly arts & crafts sessions; occasional motivational speaker or workshop; outings (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: A weekly worship session led by a non-denominational minister (free of charge)
The CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home was established in 1975, and is named after the beautiful Mkhuhla tree at its boundary wall.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Mrs Van Der Merwe: “It is very nice here – the home is lovely and clean and the food is excellent. The staff are friendly and helpful. My home is 6 hours drive from Durban and staying at the Mkhuhla Care Home has made it possible for me to have treatment for my cancer. I thank God for this home and the people who work here. I have enjoyed the prayer groups and also the Support Group, where we heard a talk on nutrition for people living with cancer by a dietician. I am looking forward to next weeks craft group. To people with cancer, I would say , ‘Keep your courage, keep your faith, keep taking the treatment and keep on going!’”
Tracey: “I had a friend staying at Mkhuhla many years ago , and now have another friend in the care of your system . I am so grateful that there are still facilities in Durban to care for cancer patients with the dignity and attention they deserve.”
The CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Mkhuhla Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Name: CANSA Association of South Africa
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch code: 002526
Account number: 051 180 596
Reference: Mkhuhla CH