The CANSA Katleho Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay varies from six to eight weeks (depending on treatment), and patients have the option of going home on weekends if possible. The Care Home caters for patients from rural, and often remote communities.
The CANSA Katleho Care Home is situated in Mangaung, Bloemfontein, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centre: National District Hospital Bloemfontein. The fact that the home is situated where it is, is a blessing, as this hospital boasts the only Oncology Department in the FS and NC where state patients may receive treatment. Previously patients who lived far away, had to sleep in the waiting area of the hospital as they could not afford alternative accommodation.
A CANSA volunteer is available at the Care Home during the night should patients require support.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA Katleho Care Home on 079 695 6485.
22 Lovedale Street, Mangaung, 9300
Private Bag X02, Brandhof, 9324
CANSA relies on donations from the public in order to help needy patients with clothes and toiletries. Linen is changed and washed weekly. Patients are asked to give a donation of R30 per week (R180 for 6 weeks) if they are able to do so.
- Meals: Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, supper) are provided – meals are adapted to suit patients’ needs when necessary
- Capacity: 75 patients (ladies x 5 wards with ten beds per ward – with cupboards to store personal items / gents x 2 wards one with ten beds and another with fifteen beds – with cupboards to store personal items )
- Rooms: a communal dining area with a fireplace, communal lounge with couches and two fireplaces, a TV and radio; ladies 2 toilets, 3 baths and 1 shower / gents 2 toilets, 1 bathroom and 2 showers; kitchen where meals are prepared for patients
- Outside: Secure garden area and stoep
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centre (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids at the Care Home (free of charge)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs (from local CANSA Care Centre for a small donation) and head coverings “doek” (free of charge), mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments (through local CANSA Care Centre at reasonable fee); breast prostheses (R80 through government contact); stoma products and nutritional supplements from National Hospital (free of charge)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information regarding the patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling available through UNISA 4th year psychology students (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Knitting and Arts & Crafts (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: Visits from interdenominational ministers every evening (free of charge)
The Katleho CANSA Care Home was established in 1990.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with a place to stay near treatment centres and therefore peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
Mamahlako Lekhatla: “I’m breast cancer survivor from Lesotho. I got my treatment at Bloemfontein. I was really given a very good care at the Katleho Care Home. Really it was of great help to me. I had food ,transport, social and emotional support from the social workers freely. I have now started awareness campaigns in my country, thank you CANSA.”
The CANSA Katleho Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA Katleho Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account name: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch code: 632005
Account number: 157 017 6656
Reference: Katleho CH