The CANSA James Kingston Care Home provides home-away-from-home accommodation for cancer patients, who live far from treatment centres, while undergoing treatment. Patients’ length of stay is approximately 6 weeks, and patients go home on weekends.
If a patient requires assistance a caregiver may accompany them, as the Care Home is a self-catering facility however, this depends on whether a bed is available as preference is given to patients. The Care Home is situated on the same premises as the CANSA Rustenburg Care Centre and a panic button has been installed in the event of a medical emergency. Patients come from as far afield as Vryburg.
The CANSA James Kingston Care Home is situated in Protea Park, Rustenburg, next to the CANSA Rustenburg Care Centre, in a secure environment, near the following treatment centre: Rustenburg Oncology. Patients are dropped off at shops or pharmacies en route to or from treatment should they need to purchases any items.
For bookings or more information, contact the CANSA James Kingston Care Home on 014 – 533 0694.
7 Olienhout Lane, Protea Park, Rustenburg, 0300
P.O. Box 20060, Protea Park, 0305
Fees per day are calculated taking income and medical aid benefits available into consideration. Patients pay a fee of R150 per day and supply their own toiletries and towels. Linen is changed and washed weekly.
- Meals: Self catering – fully equipped kitchen including a stove, microwave and fridge (some rooms have their own small fridge)
- Capacity: 7 patients may be accommodated (x 1 room with twin beds; x1 room with a single bed and x 2 rooms with double beds for couples)
- Rooms: Communal lounge with TV and DVD player and dining area; a counselling room; full bathroom
- Outside: A secure garden area (shared with the CANSA Rustenburg Care Centre)
- Transport: Provision of transport to and from treatment centres (free of charge)
- Medical Equipment Hire: Wheelchairs, walking aids (on request) from the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Assistive Devices: Wigs, breast prostheses, mastectomy and lumpectomy bras, lymphoedema garments and stoma products are available at the CANSA Care Centre (a reasonable fee or donation is required)
- Information: CancerCare Coping Kit and information patients’ illness (free of charge)
- Emotional Support: Individual counselling is available and patients may join support groups at the CANSA Care Centre (free of charge)
- Recreational Activities: Provide wool for knitting (free of charge)
- Spiritual Support: As required (free of charge)
The James Kingston Care Home was started in 2007 in response to an urgent need to accommodate patients from rural areas, while receiving treatment in Rustenburg.
CANSA is committed to connecting those affected by cancer with information, day-to-day help, as well as emotional support. Our aim is to ensure that cancer Survivors (patients) and their loved ones know that they are not alone, and to support them through every step of their cancer journey. To this end our Care Home provides patients with peace of mind, as they receive treatment.
The CANSA James Kingston Care Home relies on donations from the public in order to continue providing a home-away-from-home to cancer patients. No government funding is provided.
Please consider making an online donation to support the CANSA James Kingston Care Home or see EFT details below:
Account Number: Cancer Association of South Africa
Branch Code: 632005
Account Number: 010 2003 0905
Reference: JK Care Home