CANSA Research Fundraising Project
Research Driving Health Education & Advocacy
CANSA ensures that the scientific findings and knowledge gained from our research, realign our advocacy focus (our watchdog role), to strengthen our health and care & support programmes, to the greater benefit of the public.
The most cost effective long-term strategy for cancer control, is to help reduce the cancer risk through education and early detection.
CANSA focusses on increasing public awareness efforts regarding an improved lifestyle – aspects related to a healthy diet, minimising exposure to environmental carcinogens (cancer-causing substances) and maintaining regular physical activity. CANSA also provides cancer screening.
CANSA spends approximately R12 million annually in total on research – the scientific findings and knowledge gained from our research are used to:
- Add to global knowledge on cancer
- Realign our health programmes
- Vitalise our role in education and legislation to lower the cancer risk
- Determine our advocacy role
- Strengthen our watchdog role
- Identify which products qualify for our Seal of Recognition to enable the public to make informed choices, thereby reducing their cancer risk