Media Releases & News

Airports Company South Africa Launches Partnership with CANSA

George, 29 November 2018Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) today launched a partnership with CANSA that will support the association with philanthropic donations and volunteering support from its employees at all nine airports. The donations provided will help to educate members of the public about the disease, train auxiliary nurses, develop infrastructure and cancer research.

The launch was attended by the Mayor of Garden Route Municipality, Melvin Naik, Airports Company South Africa’s George Airport Manager, Brenda Vorster and Head of Sustainability at CANSA, Maria Scholtz.

Airports Company South Africa’s Corporate Affairs Senior Manager responsible for regional airports, Senzeni Ndebele said: “Cancer is a growing burden in South Africa, and globally it is having a greater impact on developing nations where the poor and underprivileged do not have access to quality care and treatment. Airports Company South Africa is therefore delighted to launch a national partnership with CANSA, to include all our airports, extending to an employee volunteer programme allowing employees from all our nine airports to volunteer their services to cancer support organisations.”

This aligns to Airports Company South Africa’s annual socio-economic initiative, which supports enterprise development and social upliftment projects in South Africa, contributing to the broader society in which the company operates.

George Airport has previously supported CANSA with fundraising events. This new national partnership includes an employee volunteer programme that will encourage and empower the company’s employees to give their time to cancer support organisations, whilst also supporting employees who have cancer through an employee wellness programme.

Ndebele concluded: “President Ramaphosa stated earlier this year that government will roll-out a programme that addresses the growing scourge of cancer in our communities. As a responsible corporate citizen, our partnership is aligned to that of national government and is one of the ways in which we enrich the lives of the people who live and work in the communities within which we operate. It is humbling to hear the stories of our current employee volunteers from the George Airport and the difference they have made in the lives of the people they have touched.”

About Airports Company South Africa

Airports Company South Africa is the largest airport operator in Africa. Our mission is to develop and manage world-class airport infrastructure for the benefit of all stakeholders.

We manage South Africa’s nine principal airports*. In fulfilling this task, Airports Company South Africa enables more than 80 percent of South Africa’s commercial air travel. Our airports process 40 million arriving and departing passengers a year.

In the 2017/18 financial year, Airports Company South Africa reported total revenue of R6.9-billion. Currently 52% of Airports Company South Africa revenue is derived from regulated tariffs for aircraft landing and parking fees and a passenger service charge. The remaining 48% is non-aeronautical revenue generated by airport retail, parking, property and other services.

Airports Company South Africa’s global footprint extends to technical advisory services and support, airport management, and operating concessions in India, Brazil, Munich, and Ghana.

We also frequently feature among the winners of independently-judged global airport awards. In the 2017 Airports Service Quality awards presented by Airports Council International no less than four of our airports were honoured:

  • King Shaka International Airport achieved first place in Best Airport by Region;
  • Cape Town International Airport achieved third place in Best Airport by Region;
  • Cape Town International Airport was named Best Airport in Africa (over 20 000 air traffic movements) in the Safety Awards;
  • Bram Fischer International Airport achieved first place in Best Airport by Region in the under 2 million passengers category as well as Most Improved Airport; and
  • Upington International Airport joined the 2016 Director’s Roll of Excellence for being ranked in the top five airports for its category, size and region from 2006 to 2015.

For more information please visit www.airports.co.za

*South African airports we operate are: O. R. Tambo International Airport, Cape Town International Airport, King Shaka International Airport, George Airport, Bram Fischer International Airport, Upington Airport, Kimberley Airport, Port Elizabeth Airport and East London Airport.


« BACK


Do you have a question?