Prostate cancer research – Prof Lothar Bohm
Prof Lothar Bohm
- Medical Imaging and Clinical Oncology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch
- Biography of Prof Bohm
New clinical markers for prostate cancer
Prostate cancer is the second most frequent cancer in males (1,2). Diagnosis using prostate specific antigen (PSA) is error prone in the sense that this marker gives rise to overdiagnoses and overtreatment (4). A particular acute problem is that no diagnostic criteria exist to distinguish aggressive and indolent types of prostate cancer. This affects the correct choice of therapy and scheduling of treatment. In this project, tumor resections will be used to determine the abundance of urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) and its inhibitor (PAI-1) as new candidate markers for prostate cancer, using ELISA methodology. The results will be compared to tumor stage and Gleason Score to obtain a statistical figure of merit for the marker pair and a first impression of its suitability for prostate cancer diagnosis.
CANSA supported research publications 2004 – 2012
- Bohm L (2004) Cellular radiosensitivity: Do separate predictive parameters apply for fibroblasts and for human tumor cells? Br J.Cancer 90, 554-555
- Akudugu JM, Theron T, Serafin AM, Bohm L (2004) Influence of DNA double strand break rejoining on clonogenic survival and micronucleus yield in human cell lines. Int J Radiat Biol 80; 93-104
- Akudugu JM, Binder A, Serafin AM, Slabbert J, Giese A, Bohm L (2004) Changes in G1-phase populations in human glioblastoma and neuiroblastom a cell lines influence p66/Be neutron induced micronucleus yield. Life Sci, 18; 623-632.
- Zywietz F, Bohm L, Sagowski C, Kehrl W (2004) Pentoxifylline enhances tumor oxygenation and radiosensitivity in rat rhabdomyosarcomas during continuous hyperfractionated irradiation. Strahlenther Onkol 180; 306-314.
- Serafin AM, Bohm L(2005) Influence of p53 and bcl-2 on chemosenstitivity in benign and malignant prostatic cell lines. Urol Oncol 23; 123-129
- Smit T, Snyman JR, Neuse EW, Bohm L, van Rensburg CE (2005) Evaluation of cisplatin and a novel platinum polymer conjugate for drug toxicity and drug distribution in mice. Anticancer Res. 16; 501-506.
- Bohm L (2006) Inhibition of homologous recombination repair with Pentoxifylline targets, G2 cells generated by radiotherapy and induces major enhancements of toxicity of cisplatin given after irradiation Radiation Oncology 1; 3:12
- Van Rensburg, CE, Slabbert JP, Bohm L (2006) Influence of Irinothecan and SN-38 on the irradiation response of WHO3 human oesophageal tumor cells under hypoxic conditions. Anticancer Res. 26; 389 -393
- Falzone N, Bohm L, Swarts JC van Rensburg CE (2006) Radiosensitization of CHO cells by two novel Rhodium complexes under oxic and hypoxic conditions. Anticancer Res. 26; 147-152
- Horsman MR, Bohm L, Margison GP Milas L, Rosier JF, Safrany G, Selzer E, Verheij M, Hendry JH (2006) Tumnor radiosensitizers- current status of development of various approaches, Report of an IAEA meeting. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64; 551-561
- Akudugu JM, Theron T, Serafin AM and Bohm L (2004) Influence of DNA double strand break rejoining on clonogenic survival and micronucleus yield in human cell lines. Int J Radiat Biol 80, 93-104
- Bohm L (2007) New trends in the management of late radiation morbidity.Int J. Low Radiat 4, 332-335
- Donninger H, Binder A, Bohm L, Parker MI (2008) Differential effects of novel tumour derived p53 mutations on the transformation of NIH-3T3 cells. Biol Chem 389, 57-67
- Bohm L (2010) in: Radiation Biology: A Handbook for Teachers and Students, IAEA Training Courses Series 42, Vienna 2010
- Bohm L, Serafin AM, Fernandez P, van der Watt G, Bouic PJD, Harvey J (2012) Plasma sarcosine does not distinguish early and advanced stages of prostate cancer. SAMJ 102, 677-679
- Mosesso P, Bohm L, Pepe G, Fiore M, Capinelli A, Gade, G, Nagini, S, Ottavianelli A, Degassi, F (2012) Cytogenetic analyses of Azadirachtin reveal absence of genotoxicity but marked antiproliferative effecs in human lymphocytes and CHO cells in vitro. Toxicol Lett 213, 361-366