Progress in Cancer Research
Take a look at the great strides that our research has made against cancer. Peer-reviewed publications of our research projects can be downloaded in PDF format.
- Selective extraction of Cyclopia for enhanced in vitro phytoestrogenicity and benchmarking against commercial phytoestrogen extracts
- Chemical and biological perspectives of rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), honeybush (Cyclopia spp.) and bush tea (Athrixia phylicoides).
- PALB2 sequence variants in young SA breast cancer patients
- In vitro effects of 2-methoxyestradiol on MCF-12A and MCF-7 cell growth, morphology and mitotic spindle formation
- Influence of 2-methoxyestradiol on MCF-7 cells: An improved differential interference contrasting technique and Bcl-2 and Bax protein expression levels
- Common variants at 12p11, 12q24, 9p21, 9q31.2 and in ZNF365 are associated with breast cancer risk for BRCA1 and/or BRCA2 mutation carriers
- Epigenetika: die skakel tussen genetika en omgewing.
- Influence of 2-methoxyestradiol on cell morphology and Cdc2 kinase activity in WHCO3 esophageal carcinoma cells
- In vitro effects of 2-methoxyestradiol on cell morphology and Cdc2 Kinase activity in SNO oesophageal carcinoma cell
- In vitro effects of 2-methoxyestradiol on cell numbers, morphology, cell cycle progression and apoptosis induction in oesophageal carcinoma cells
- Metformin induces an intracellular reductive state that protects oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma cells against cisplatin but not copper-bis(thiosemicarbazones)
- Molecular analysis of Ceruloplasmin in a South African cohort presenting with oesophageal cancer
- A novel approach to simultaneously scan genes at fragile sites. Click here to read the article on Pub Med.
- Paradigm shift needed for cervical cancer: HPV infection is the real epidemic
- Age-specific prevalence of cervical human papillomavirus infection and cytological abnormalities in women in Gauteng Province, South Africa
- Genital human papillomavirus prevalence and human papillomavirus concordance in heterosexual couples are positively associated with human immunodeficiency virus coinfection
- The Karyopherin proteins, Crm1 and Karyopherin b1, are overexpressed in cervical cancer and critical for cancer cell survival and proliferation
- The nuclear exporter, Crm1, is regulated by NFY and Sp1 in cancer cells and repressed by p53 in response to DNA damage
- Regulation of the nuclear importer proteins, KpnB1 and KpnA2 in cancer and transformed cells
- Deregulated LAP2α expression in cervical cancer associates with aberrant E2F and p53 activities
- The nuclear import receptor KpnB1 and it’s potential as an anti-cancer therapeutic target
- CANSA Detectives – The very real prospect of eradicating liver cancer in southern Africa by Prof Michael Kew
- Changing Pattern of Lymphoma Subgroups at a Tertiary Academic Complex in a High-Prevalence HIV Setting: A South African Perspective
- Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility Alleles and Risk of Ovarian Cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Carriers
- 11β-Hydroxyandrostenedione, the product of androstenedione metabolism in the adrenal, is metabolized in LNCaP cells by 5α-reductase yielding 11 β -hydroxy-5α-androstanedione
- 11 β -Hydroxydihydrotestosterone and 11-ketodihydrotestosterone, novel C19 steroids with androgenic activity: A putative role in castration resistant prostate cancer?
- Vitamin D Receptor Gene Expression and Function in a South African Population: Ethnicity, Vitamin D and FokI
- Photostability of the sunscreening agent 4-tert-butyl-4′-methoxydibenzoylmethane (avobenzone) in solvents of different polarity and proticity
- Anatomical distribution of ultraviolet solar radiation
- Determination of Titanium Dioxide in Commercial Sunscreens by Inductively Coupled Plasma–Optical Emission Spectrometry
- Ultraviolet protective performance of photoprotective lipsticks: change of spectral transmittance because of ultraviolet exposure
- Ultraviolet Radiation Exposure of Children and Adolescents in Durban
- The ulnar-mammary syndrome gene, Tbx3, is a direct target of the retinoic acid signaling pathway, which regulates its expression during mouse limb development
- Interaction of Candida albicans with phagocytes Click here to read the abstract on PubMed.
- Epidemiological profile of non-daily smokers in South Africa: implications for practice
- Requisite role for the Dectin-1 beta-glucan receptor in pulmonary defense against Aspergillus fumigatus. Click here to read the abstract on PubMed.
- Reciprocal regulation of IL-23 and IL-12 following co-activation of Dectin-1 and Toll-like receptor signaling pathways
- Syk kinase is required for collaborative cytokine production induced through Dectin-1 and Toll-like receptors
- A critical role for β-glucan recognition in the control of fungal infection
- 17-Beta-Estradiol Analog Inhibits Cell Proliferation by Induction of Apoptosis in Breast Cell Lines
- 2_Methoxyestradiol-bis-sulphamate A promising anticancer agent in an esophageal carcinoma (SNO) cell line
- Effects of a 17-beta estradiol analogue on gene expression and morphology
- In vitro changes in mitochondrial potential aggresome formation and caspase activity by a novel 17-b-estradiol analogue in breast adenocarcinoma cells
- Molecular crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy
- Novel Estradiol Analogue Induces Apoptosis and Autophagy in Esophageal Carcinoma cells
- Signaling Pathways of ESE-16
- Sulphamoylated 2-Methoxyestradiol Analogues Induce Apoptosis in Adenocarcinoma Cell Lines