CANSA Ups the Ante for 12th Annual CANSA Shavathon
19 January 2015: CANSA held their first CANSA Shavathon 12 years ago and in 2015, the event is still going strong – with men, women, children, caregivers, cancer Survivors and people whose lives have been personally touched by cancer, rallying the troops and joining the nationwide event, each with their own reason for getting involved.
When people head out to a local shopping centre on Saturday 28 February 2015 and at selected venues on 1 March, they will have the opportunity to shave their hair, donate their ponytail (of 25cm in length – that will go toward making wigs for cancer patients in need), purchase a CANSA wrap or spray their hair.
With 70% of CANSA Shavathon supporters being families and children, CANSA have created a range of trendy new stencils that will be used for anyone of all ages interested in spraying their hair. The spray used is made from vegetable dye and is safe to use. It lasts only a day and washes out easily.
The cost of R50 for adults and R25 for children under 12 years old, will see all funds raised going towards funding the care and support programmes that CANSA offers, mainly rendered at CANSA Care Centres.
“Shavathon is such a fun way to get involved in the fight against cancer, by shaving, spraying, ‘wrapping’ or donating your hair. We encourage people to get their colleagues, family and friends ready for Shavathon 2015,” says Elize Joubert, CANSA’s Acting CEO.
CANSA Shavathon Public Service Announcements (PSA)’s will be aired on radio stations across the country, so be sure to keep an ear out for more information. The voices behind our nationwide PSA’s are Rozanne McKenzie (radio and TV personality) and talented 9 year old Laila Mackay. Sticking with a proudly South African vibe, the backing tracks used for the PSA’s are Cassper Nyovest’s ‘Alive’ and Stefan Dixon’s ‘Over and Over’. Listen to our radio ads…
How Can You Get Involved?
- Join us at one of the public Shavathons at shopping centres across the country
- You can also volunteer to help out at a Shavathon event
- Host a Shavathon event at your workplace between 2-6 March 2015. Visit the Shavathon website to register your company and challenge your colleagues to the best Shavathon yet
- Become an online activist by raising funds online. Sign up and become a fundraising champion. CANSA have upped the ante for their online activists, and anyone who signs up to raise funds for CANSA online, stands to win incredible experiences and prizes, including a studio session with Daniel Baron , a backstage pass and meet and greet with Mark Haze; the opportunity to co-host Mark Pilgrim’s show live on Hot 91.9 FM; and an overnight stay for two at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice at Melrose Arch
- Be on the lookout for information on CANSA’s social media platforms Facebook; Twitter and Instagram. A weekend in the Commodore Hotel in the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town as well as other exciting prizes and hampers will be up for grabs
“All funds raised at the Shavathon help CANSA to continue delivering its care and support programme for those affected by cancer. Our CANSA Care Centres offer support in many forms to cancer patients, their families and anyone who wants to know more about the disease,” concludes Joubert.