CANSA Care Centres Celebrate Caregivers
CANSA East London Care Centre
In the Amatole, Chris Hani and OR Tambo regions in the Eastern Cape, we will be celebrating CANSA Care Week by hosting four different “Care of the Carers” sessions with our Patient Care and Home-Based Care volunteers.
We shall have a session on the importance of avoiding ‘Caregiver Burnout’ – and give the important tips to the volunteers.
Then we will give each volunteer a teaspoon, some wire and some beads and will proceed to teach them all to make “beaded teaspoons”. This is an ideal opportunity to take their minds completely off their patients, to have time to talk and debrief, as well as to learn a brand new skill!
- 6th August: Group from Mdantsane at Mdantsane NU9
- 7th August: Group from Mthatha at Hospice, Southernwood in Mthatha
- 8th August: Group from East London at CANSA East London Care Centre
- 12th – 14th August: Group from Chris Hani region at Queenstown Resource Centre
CANSA Bethlehem Care Centre
Are arranging a Caregiver Tea on Thursday, 7 August 2014 in the Oncology Clinic at the Bethlehem Care Centre. Sr Ann Engelbrecht from the private Bethlehem Oncology Clinic will be the guest speaker. The CANSA Regional Manager will conduct burn-out questionnaires with all caregivers and light snacks with tea and coffee will be enjoyed. More than 60 caregivers have been invited.
CANSA Bloemfontein Care Centre
- Staff will be visiting Caregivers at Medi Clinic Bloemfontein’s Oncology Wards on 5 August 2014
- Visits to Caregivers at the Life Rosepark Hospital’s Oncology Wards on 6 August 2014 to hand out cakes and inspirational messages.
- CANSA Caregivers (Volunteers) will be attending a motivational talk at the office on 7 August 2014. A Caregiver’s questionnaire regarding dealing with stress and ‘burnout’ will be completed and debriefing sessions conducted. Refreshments will be served to all the caregivers.
CANSA Welkom & Parys Care Centres
- 1 to 7 August: Exhibitions to reaffirm services and support in Parys, Heilbron, Viljoenskroon and Bothaville. Invitations sent to volunteers and caregivers.
CANSA East Rand Care Centre
- Goody bags will be handed out at Oncology Units and a talk & exhibitions will be arranged for all Caregivers
- Talks are planned about Women’s Health due to Women’s Day happening 9th August.
- Cancer Fact Sheets will be distributed
CANSA Houghton Care Centre
- 4 August 2014 – Talk at Johannesburg home for the aged
- 5 August 2014 – Breakfast for CANSA Keurboom Care Home staff and a motivational talk
- 6 August 2014 – UCKG Volunteer, cupcake and tea morning with a ‘Caregiver talk’
- 7 August 2014 – Proctor and Gamble Wellness Day
- 8 August 2014 – TBA
CANSA Pretoria Care Centre
- We will get as many Volunteers together to share ‘best practices’ with each other. Healthy snacks will be served
- We will arrange for the support groups to get together to share with each other. Healthy snacks will be served
- Share info re ‘Healthy Lifestyle’
CANSA Soweto Care Centre
- 4 – 8 August 2014: Drive to all the primary Health Clinics in Soweto and Lenasia doing talks and awareness with Volunteers and planning a breakfast for Caregivers
CANSA Vaal Triangle Care Centre
- The Mobile Health Unit will be going into the community to do cancer screening
- Radio talk on ‘Healthy Living’ will take place
- Fact Sheets will be distributed
- CANSA Care Week will build up to a Cuppa For CANSA with the theme, ‘The Art of Healthy Living’. A talk & exhibition will be held at the Cuppa event.
CANSA Western Gauteng Care Centre
Will be having a “Reach Out” on Saturday, 2 August 2014 at the Medicine Square Pharmacy, Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort. 50 to 100 CancerCare Coping Kits will be distributed to patients at the adjacent clinic. We will distribute leaflets to visitors at the clinic and inside the pharmacy re CANSA Care Week & CANSA’s service.
CANSA Durban Care Centre
Staff will be visiting oncology staff at the Durban Treatment Centres and providing their medical and nursing staff with gifts and muffins to show them our appreciation for all of their hard work. A high tea for our caregivers working with patients and offering services to the community will be held at the office.
- 1st August – Staff Lunch – bring and share – ‘Caregiver Burnout’ presentation / Celebration of achievements thus far / Reach For Dream Slipper Day with staff
- 6th August – Community Screening in Reservoir Hills / Healthy Lifestyle Assessments for community
- 7th August – High Tea for all Caregivers and Volunteers including Liaison Committee / ‘Caregiver Burnout’ questionnaires to be filled in by all attending
- 8th August – Staff to visit Oncology Wards and do ‘Thank You Presentations’ for doctors and nurses and give them gifts / CancerCare Coping kits to be given to Oncology Wards (Albert Luthuli, Parklands Pediatric and Adult wards, Durban Oncology Centre, Capital Hospital Children’s Unit and Addington Hospital)
CANSA Newcastle Care Centre
Between 20 and 30 survivors and caregivers will be involved in a week-long affair. 4th to 10th August:
- Monday: Cancer patients will be treated to a special movie screening and popcorn at Victorian Theatres
- Tuesday: Cancer patients will be treated to a breakfast and motivational talk at Factory Plaza
- Wednesday: Cancer patients will get ice-cream at Milky Lane
- Thursday: Female cancer patients will get makeovers and goodie bags at a special pamper day
- Friday: The focus on the Friday will be on caregivers. Cancer patients will be invited to attend a tea party and each patient will nominate a caregiver for the ‘Phenomenal Woman’ title. This caregiver will receive a card with a personalised message acknowledging the role they have played in the patient’s life.
- Saturday: Blood Buddy walk where the CANSA Relay For Life committee will host a sprayathon and recruit teams and survivors for a local CANSA Relay For Life event
- Sunday: Launch of Newcastle patient support group at the MediClinic conference centre.
CANSA Pietermaritzburg Care Centre
- Staff are arranging tea and gifts for staff at Msunduzi Hospice, Hopelands Cancer Centre and Greys’ Hospital Oncology Unit.
CANSA Port Shepstone Care Centre:
- Staff are arranging a talk for caregivers of all local NGOs, hospices and hospitals on ‘Caregiver Burnout’.
CANSA uThungulu (Empangeni) Care Centre:
- Staff to visit Oncology wards , Staff Tea and Cake, with ‘Caregiver Burnout’ Questionnaires and Caregiver bookmarks – 1st August
- DR Jordaan Oncology Unit – cake and bookmarks to be distributed – 4rd August
- Ngwelezane Oncology Unit – bookmarks and chocolates to be distributed – 5th August
- Healty Lifestyle Assesment to Community Gingindlovu – 6th August
- Certificates to all the Caregivers – 8th August
CANSA Modimolle (Nylstroom) Care Centre
- We will invite Survivors and Volunteers to a training session
CANSA Polokwane (Pietersburg) Care Centre
- Will have a program with all the mothers in the TLC Lodge about ‘Healthy Living & Types of Cancer’
- We are planning events with Corporates and Local Government & will distribute as many fact sheets re ‘Healthy Living’ as possible to inform the public
- Our Information Officer will also do health talks at schools with Toktokkie to deliver this message
- We also plan to launch our Mobile Unit in the surrounding towns to create awareness about what we can offer.
- Arrange Volunteer training where volunteers will be treated as V.I.P’s
CANSA Nelspruit Care Centre
- 5th August: Visit Oncology Units to hand out a sponsored gift and a card to the staff
- 6th August: Stakeholder meeting
- 7th August : Caregivers tea
CANSA Secunda Care Centre
- Staff will be hosting a workshop with caregivers – ‘CAREGIVER SUPPORT – Who cares for the Carer’, in Piet Retief on 1 August 2014, to be attended by approximately 40 volunteers, patients and caregivers.
- On 2 August, the first Cancer Walk in Thistle Grove will take place, as well as an awareness morning at the SASOL Club. The Department of Health’s Mobile Clinic will be present, combining cancer education with CANSA, they are hoping to reach 200 people.
- On 5 August 2014, staff will spoil the cancer survivors at the oncology unit in Trichardt.
CANSA Witbank Care Centre:
- Awareness campaign and exhibition at the Middelburg and Witbank Malls for the week.
CANSA Kimberley Care Centre
- Launch of CANSA Care Week at CANSA Skouspel: Tribute to our children cancer patients and their caregivers – 1st August.
- CHBC (Life Line and Legatus) – Information session on how to cope as caregiver, recognising stress and burnout. Debriefing session with psychologist – 4th August
- CANSA TLC Caregivers – Information session on how to cope as a caregiver, recognising stress and burnout. Debriefing session with psychologist – 5th August
- CANSA Volunteer Caregivers – Information session on how to cope as a caregiver, recognising stress and burnout. Debriefing session with psychologist – 6th August
- KHC Oncology Professional Caregivers – Acknowledge and thank them for their care and support – 7th August.
CANSA Klerksdorp & Rustenburg Care Centres
Will be hosting a workshop for volunteers /Caregivers on 12th August at Anncron Life Clinic, Klerksdorp. The topic is ‘Caring for the Carer’ and various aspects of this will be attended to during this interactive workshop.
CANSA Cape Metro Care Centre
On 12 & 13 August, CANSA staff will be handing out biscuits and flowers as well as brochures to patients in the waiting areas for oncology treatments and cancer patients in the wards. (August 12: Groote Schuur and Red Cross (Southern Suburbs) & August 13: Tygerberg and Panorama.
Care for Carers for volunteers – there is a huge need for more support for our volunteers – they deal with loss of patients, community violence on an ongoing basis and don’t have a space in which to debrief – third year social work students are putting together a workshop which will have a both debriefing session and a self-care session (prevention of burnout etc). This workshop can be rolled out from end August to October on Mondays or Tuesdays. Our psychology students will also be able to run this workshop.
Should you like to enquire regarding activities to support Caregivers at your local CANSA Care Centre, find contact details here…